Archive

Posts Tagged ‘paintings’

The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe

September 7, 2012 Leave a comment

Haven’t had time to work on many personal projects lately. I’ve been busy working on posters for  a few local arts groups. This one’s for an amateur theatre company for their upcoming show. I broke out the acrylics again for this for the first time in quite a while. I definitely seem to have learned a lot in the meantime – this was a lot less frustrating than my previous attempts at working with acrylic.

 

Categories: art Tags: , , , ,

Oil Painting – Statuesque – part 1

Slow progress on the personal projects right now as I’ve got a few pro-bono pieces I’m working on for other groups. I have managed to squeeze in some time to work on this, based on a photo of a statue I took at my last trip to the ROM. They had it lit so gorgeously I couldn’t resist trying to paint it.  I’m still fairly new to painting with real media, so I’m using this mainly as a practice piece, since it lends itself well to a limited palette. The left side isn’t quite that light in person – I don’t have access to a tripod so I had to use the flash.

3rd Doctor — ready for colour!

September 28, 2011 2 comments

After another few days’ worth of work, I’m finally ready to start adding colour!

Added more curls to the top of his head, finished up the  jacket and then got rid of the ends of the bow tie to make room for the ruffles. Then I took another look at my references and trimmed the hair back a bit and texturised the background. I can’t believe how long this took! For the next Doctor, I’m  definitely going to colour right away.

 

3rd Doctor — Good Hair Day

September 21, 2011 Leave a comment

FINALLY got the 3rd Doctor’s hair under control. Still not 100% pleased (I like the right side better than the left) but it’s good enough for now, so I’ll wait to go back to it after  I’ve added colour.

I also added the pupils to his eyes and refined the facial wrinkles, and  I’m astounded at how much of a difference it makes. I’m really starting to capture a good likeness, so my ego is soaring right now. I’m sure it’ll crash back down when I try and add colour, but let’s just enjoy it for now.

Next step: Finish refining the outfit so I can move on. I’m thinking of doing some kind of camo theme to the background.

3rd Doctor — Bad Hair Day

September 15, 2011 Leave a comment

I’m still struggling with the 3rd Doctor’s hair. I ended up scrapping what I’d done on the detailing on the right side and tried another approach.   I like this better but it’s still not quite what I had in mind.

3rd Doctor — refining

September 1, 2011 Leave a comment

The third Doctor is really starting to take shape.  I started by blocking out his clothes, which made me realize the shadows on his face need to be darker. Darkened those and started a detailing pass. I’m pretty happy with  the eyes. Started on the hair, but it looks like I”ll either have to lighten the hair. Hoping I’ll be able to start adding colour soon. Still need to figure out what to do with the background, though.

Doctor Who Portrait Project – 2nd Doctor, part 4

My quest to paint portraits of each and every Doctor continues with more progress on the Second Doctor.

I’m in the middle of moving, so I haven’t had much time to work on this lately. This weekend’s project was to buy and then assemble a massive amount of IKEA furniture I still needed, (because a bed and dresser and such would help :P) but I was able to put some time in after dinner tonight. Today, I really struggled with the hair. I’ve never been able to develop a satisfactory method of painting hair.  I wanted a more loose, painterly feel to it rather than a detailed rendering of each strand of hair, but most of the tutorials I could find either dealt with photo-realistic hair, cloning hair from a photograph, or an anime-inspired method involving big huge blocks of colour. I finally found one technique that was worth experimenting with, so I wiped out all the shading from the last post and started over, but I’m still not 100% pleased with it. I’m not sure it goes too well with the style of the shading on the face.

I also refined the eyebrows, which  I think helps make the expression look more readable as puzzlement. I’ll take  break from the hair next session and work on defining the ears.  I’ve also got to revisit the shirt and suspenders. I’m pretty happy witht the collar, but the rest looks pretty sloppy, and the shoulders still aren’t convincing. I’ve also got to add the little half-moons to the suspenders still. Still, I’m on the home stretch. One or two more sessionss and I think this one will be done.