Archive

Posts Tagged ‘digital’

5th Doctor – back at it

I’m back to work on the 5th Doctor’s portrait. I know it’s been some 9 months, but I haven’t forgotten!

I’ve decided to try a different look this time. I’ve set up the background texture and colour based on what I learned with Four’s portrait and laid in some base colour. I want to try to  focus on the head and arms and leave the rest a bit unfinished, so I’ve let the background show through on his back and torso.

I did a bit of detailing to his chest and hair. Thank god for his straight blonde hair – after Tom Baker’s mop, it was downright easy.  I’m not looking forward to Colin Baker at all.

5thDoctor01

Advertisements

4th Doctor – Complete

November 6, 2012 Leave a comment

Done a lot of work since last post. I’ve pretty much stopped using my screenshot reference and the walkthrough in the book. I decided I really didn’t like the impasto effect, so I’ve done a lot of work smoothing that out. I’ve done some work adding extra reflected light, and corrected the colour on the green part of scarf on the right side of the neck.

And of course, the final touches, the eyes. Finished at last! It was a long haul, but it’s worth it. I’m very happy with my progress on this one.

 

On to Doctor number five!

4th Doctor – base colours

February 5, 2012 Leave a comment

Got the base colours in. I’m not working off any one specific screenshot for the outfit; I’m just taking my favourite pieces from each episode and throwing them together.

 

3rd Doctor — Bad Hair Day

September 15, 2011 Leave a comment

I’m still struggling with the 3rd Doctor’s hair. I ended up scrapping what I’d done on the detailing on the right side and tried another approach.   I like this better but it’s still not quite what I had in mind.

Third Doctor – greyscale progress shot

Here’s the latest 3rd Doctor progress update. Gave him a default grey background for now, went over the entire bust in a lighter grey and started taking my favourite Painter brushes to it. I’ve spent most of the time on his face and neck, and a little on his hair.  Oddly enough, Three’s hair is giving me a lot less trouble than Two’s was. At this rate, Four will be a cinch.

Next step is to stop ignoring the clothing before I start in on the details.

Doctor Who Portrait Project – 2nd Doctor, finished

My portrait of the second Doctor, complete at last!

Actually, I finished it a while ago, but due to spectacular bad timing I moved and had to fight with my internet company for a week before they connected me again so I could post.

 

Not too much work this time. Defined the ears, darkened up the background, tweaked around with his bow tie a bit and added the details to the suspenders.

Next is to find a few good screenshots of the Third Doctor. I’m hoping to get a bit more creative with it than just copying the screenshot.

Doctor Who Portrait Project – 2nd Doctor, part 4

My quest to paint portraits of each and every Doctor continues with more progress on the Second Doctor.

I’m in the middle of moving, so I haven’t had much time to work on this lately. This weekend’s project was to buy and then assemble a massive amount of IKEA furniture I still needed, (because a bed and dresser and such would help :P) but I was able to put some time in after dinner tonight. Today, I really struggled with the hair. I’ve never been able to develop a satisfactory method of painting hair.  I wanted a more loose, painterly feel to it rather than a detailed rendering of each strand of hair, but most of the tutorials I could find either dealt with photo-realistic hair, cloning hair from a photograph, or an anime-inspired method involving big huge blocks of colour. I finally found one technique that was worth experimenting with, so I wiped out all the shading from the last post and started over, but I’m still not 100% pleased with it. I’m not sure it goes too well with the style of the shading on the face.

I also refined the eyebrows, which  I think helps make the expression look more readable as puzzlement. I’ll take  break from the hair next session and work on defining the ears.  I’ve also got to revisit the shirt and suspenders. I’m pretty happy witht the collar, but the rest looks pretty sloppy, and the shoulders still aren’t convincing. I’ve also got to add the little half-moons to the suspenders still. Still, I’m on the home stretch. One or two more sessionss and I think this one will be done.