I’m back to work on the 5th Doctor’s portrait. I know it’s been some 9 months, but I haven’t forgotten!
I’ve decided to try a different look this time. I’ve set up the background texture and colour based on what I learned with Four’s portrait and laid in some base colour. I want to try to focus on the head and arms and leave the rest a bit unfinished, so I’ve let the background show through on his back and torso.
I did a bit of detailing to his chest and hair. Thank god for his straight blonde hair – after Tom Baker’s mop, it was downright easy. I’m not looking forward to Colin Baker at all.
Long time no post, I know. That doesn’t mean I haven’t been busy, though. Theatre tends to take up a lot of my time from January to March.
I did find time for two more things:
First, an update on Statuesque – I’ve done a lot of work to the eyes, nose and chin, and I’ve thrown in a background and finished the hair. I’d call it about 80% done – still to do is the shoulders, the final touches on the eyes ( I always save those for last), sign it and oil it out to even the sheen.
Next, I’ve done some work on a poster for the Christmas concert for the choir I’m in. It’s fairly sparse to save room for the title, the ticket info and such. I really like how this one turned out. It’s simple but fun.
So after some watching and re-watching, I’ve decided on a screenshot. This has always been my favourite 5th Doctor scene: Coming across a tray of celery on a table at a party, the Doctor looks over his own celery, then the celery on the tray… takes two stalks from the tray, comapres them, picks one, and replaces his own celery with it.
It’s tricker than I’ve tried before – more of his body showing, hands present, face not very clear. I’ve got more screenshots of just his face in almost similar poses if I need them. I’m cautiously optimistic – this drawing went by a lot faster than my first attempt at the 4th Doctor. Here’s my sketch:
Done a lot of work since last post. I’ve pretty much stopped using my screenshot reference and the walkthrough in the book. I decided I really didn’t like the impasto effect, so I’ve done a lot of work smoothing that out. I’ve done some work adding extra reflected light, and corrected the colour on the green part of scarf on the right side of the neck.
And of course, the final touches, the eyes. Finished at last! It was a long haul, but it’s worth it. I’m very happy with my progress on this one.
On to Doctor number five!
I actually finished this step some time ago, but haven’t gotten around to posting it. Finished the first detail pass – a lot of work done on the jacket, the scarf, the background and the hat. I’m finding I’m referring less and less to my reference image as I work. I’m still looking at it for the face, but I’ve been working on my own for everything else.
Next step in the process: blocking in. This went pretty quickly, and I already feel I’m getting a better likeness than last time. Managed to get a little bit of step 3 done, a detail pass of the face.
I’m making good progress – I’m pretty psyched. Let’s hope I can get my momentum back.
Sorry I haven’t had much time to work on this lately, I’ve been busy all summer working on a few charity projects IRL.
I really didn’t like how the previous attempts at this Doctor were coming out, so I’ve decided to start again, with my usual method of working from a screenshot. Since the previous three have all been fairly happy expressions, I’ve decided to go with something a bit more serious this time:
After a few rounds of sketching, I’ve got my base sketch:
This time I’m planning on working through chapter one of Advanced Painter Techniques by Don Seegmiller, using this drawing instead of the one from the book. Wish me luck!